If you are planning a move you are probably busy thinking about the new costs of living, how much the rental truck will cost, packing and how you will get there. What you may not be considering is the hidden costs of moving.
Here just a few of the surprise costs of moving and some ideas on how to avoid them:
When you are moving things get lost in the mail or are slow to be forwarded to your new address. If you miss paying your bills on it can add up in unnecessary late fees. Switch all of your bills to online billing that way you are sure not to miss a payment that is lost in the mail.
Don’t close that bank account just yet. You may have checks or bills still being drawn on that bank account. Leave your bank account open for approximately three months to allow all checks to clear. Doing this will help you avoid any overdraft fees.
All of those contracts you have signed may come back to haunt you. Memberships at the gym, country club, day care facility, community association, etc. can cost you. Typically there is some type of annual or monthly contract associated with membership and cancelling early will usually cost you. Some of these contracts will have an exception for a move so read the terms and conditions before you pay a hefty cancellation fee.
Part of the cost of your auto insurance is determined by your address. For example, moving from an area with less population, to a more highly populated area will cost you more in auto insurance. Different states also have different laws regarding insurance coverage. States have different minimum liability requirements so in some states you will need to purchase personal injury protection and uninsured motorist coverage and in others you will not.
Health insurance can also change when you switch states. Just like auto insurance, health insurance mandates vary among states, too. Some states require some types of medical procedures are covered while another has not mandated coverage. Be sure to comparison-shop for your health insurance.
While adding up the normal costs of moving expenses like boxes and storage also be sure to check for these hidden costs and try to avoid losing money in your next move.
New Construction!!! Enjoy a oversize 1.5 acre lot and this Handsome 3 bedroom Colonial! Features, 2×6 construction, hardwood floors in livingroom amd open kitchen area. Boasts granite countertops, stainless dishwasher, range, microwave. Includes 1 car garage and unfinished bonus area over garage. Buyer choice of carpet color in bedroom and tile color in bathroom. Foundation 24X32.
This is a Colonial/Contemporary style home and features 6 total rooms, 2 full baths, 3 bedrooms, and is currently available for $349,900.
For complete details click here.
Sandwich MA ListingsSandwich, MA - $194,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoSandwich, MA - $334,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/112 hours agoSandwich, MA - $289,000 - Single-Family - Gambrel - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:212 hours agoSandwich, MA - $298,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Mashpee MA ListingsMashpee, MA - $299,900 - Condo - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:21 hour agoMashpee, MA - $369,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Contemporary - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:32 hours agoMashpee, MA - $299,000 - Single-Family - Ranch, Contemporary - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:12 hours agoMashpee, MA - $189,900 - Condo - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/112 hours ago
Barnstable MA ListingsBarnstable, MA - $249,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:236 minutes agoBarnstable, MA - $2,750,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/22 hours agoBarnstable, MA - $325,122 - Single-Family - Cape, Expandable - Rooms:5 - Beds:1 - Baths:24 hours agoBarnstable, MA - $269,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:212 hours ago
- Forestdale man arrested, faces weapons and drug charges March 7, 2014A 26-year-old Forestdale man is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Barnstable District Court on multiple drug and weapons charges, police said. […]
- Sandwich police release internal investigation results March 7, 2014Sandwich Police Chief Peter Wack released two internal investigations this week: One concludes a police officer lied about his military ranking and another finds that a police officer violated department rules in an alleged drunken driving crash. […]
- Murray picks Sagamore woman for Statehouse art panel March 6, 2014Senate President Therese Murray announced yesterday that she has appointed Jacqueline Lane, the Sagamore resident responsible for her Beacon Hill office's holiday decorations, to the State House Art Commission. […]
- Cape's property sales increase March 6, 2014The Barnstable County Register of Deeds announced Wednesday that real estate sales volume in February was up 10.3 percent from February 2013. […]
- Forestdale man arrested, faces weapons and drug charges March 7, 2014
- Delahunt on pot shops: 'We'll do it right' March 9, 2014Lianne Ankner, Jonathan Herlihy and William Delahunt are applicants to open three medical marijuana dispensaries including one in Mashpee. […]
- Tribe's salaries on the rise March 8, 2014For the second year in a row, the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe plans to spend $12.7 million on its efforts to build a casino in Taunton, according to a copy of the tribe's 2014 budget proposal. […]
- Medical marijuana documents available on Cape March 8, 2014More than half a dozen prospective patients waited in the parking lot Friday for the grand opening of Canna Care Docs, a physician practice that specializes in certifying patients for medical marijuana use. […]
- Mashpee man arrested, charged with rape, assault March 7, 2014The Mashpee Police Department called in heavily armed backup today to help apprehend a resident accused of sexually assaulting and battering a woman in his home. […]
- Delahunt on pot shops: 'We'll do it right' March 9, 2014
- Death cafe takes up taboo subject March 10, 2014Death is the great equalizer to life: It's the one constant everyone faces no matter their background, their fortune or their race. […]
- Connector application March 8, 2014New applications for subsidized health insurance coverage are flooding into the Massachusetts Health Connector at a rate of nearly 2,000 a day as officials rush to clear the backlog of paper and electronic applications before the end of open enrollment on March 31. Sarah Iselin, special assistant to Gov. Deval Patrick in charge of overseeing the ... (more) […]
- Committee moves on private roads bill March 7, 2014The town council road subcommittee has asked the town attorney's office to draft special legislation covering private road repair and seek town council approval on April 3. The proposal is in response to a home rule bill drafted by State Rep. Cleon Turner that would apply only to Barnstable and could be expedited faster than regular legislation. […]
- This Just In...3-7-14 March 7, 2014That was Valerie Guertin's brother Bob, not Felicia Penn 's brother , who used to recover quarters people threw from the bulkhead back in the day. […]
- Death cafe takes up taboo subject March 10, 2014